Friday, October 17, 2014

THE TRAP



A friend drove me to lunch downtown and – miracle of
miracles – found an empty parking space right in front
of the restaurant. But just as he turned on his
blinker and started to back in, another car zipped
into the space, its driver yelling, "Whoever’s faster
wins!"

I was furious, but my friend just shrugged and
began looking for another space.

A fool shows his annoyance at once,
but a prudent man overlooks an insult.
– Proverbs 12:16

Man is free at the moment he wishes to be.
– Voltaire

"Didn't that bother you?" I asked my friend once we
were seated in the restaurant. His reply amazed me. "I
never let anyone provoke me for things I can't
change,” he said quietly.


His answer was food for
thought that was much more nourishing than the lunch
we went on to share. It became clear to me that when I
Iet myself fall into provocation trap, I give up
control over my emotions, which eventually hurts no
one but me.

Has someone provoked you recently?

Stay out of the trap!

No comments: